We want our guests to feel truly at home
— Benedicte & Anne Margrethe Klohs
Both our buildings represent superior examples of nineteenth century Bergen architecture and history. The main building was completed in 1890 as the home of one of the prominent merchant families in Bergen, before being sold to Consul Conrad Mohr (1849-1926), a close friend of the famous composer Edvard Grieg.
Conrad Mohr subsequently converted the building into a foundation, “Agnes Mohrs minne”, for elderly widows in memory of his wife Agnes, who died aged 43. In 1974 it was converted into a hotel and from 1979 it has been owned and run by the Klohs family.
The second building was completed in 1880. Built for the merchant Eilert Engelsen and his family it later came under the ownership of the University of Bergen before the Klohs family acquired it in 1996. Situated next door to the main building it has become an integral part of our hotel.